Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Home Again!

I'm home from Atlanta, glad to be back in my own bed and eating home-cooked food again.

Actually, I've been home since Sunday evening, but I'm just beginning to catch up with myself and the hundreds of e-mails that piled up while I was away. The trip was a good one. Saw friends I only see once a year, made new friends, and bought a couple of T-shirts and coffee mugs (always a sign of success when I travel.) Picked up somewhere around 45 new books, all but 2 of them free. Since my large suitcase was already teetering on the edge of the airline's weight limit, that meant I had to ship a box home to myself.

 I hate reporting that the police found little Destiny Norton's body in the basement of a neighbor's house while I was away. My heart breaks for her parents.

On a not-so-heavy note, my dog Angel was hit by a police car while I was away. Luckily, she came through with a bruised leg and sore paw, but nothing was broken. How she even survived the impact is a mystery. The police car was going about 35 mph and hit her hard enough to spin her around in the street. She lay there for a minute while my daughter freaked out, then got up and limped off. Val finally found her on the front porch, waiting to be let inside.

 I hate that she was hurt, but since she's okay I'm hoping that maybe this will teach her that it's not a good idea to sneak past a person as they're coming inside at midnight and race off through the neighborhood in search of Grand Adventure -- especially when the escapee is covered head-to-toe in black fur!!!! I'm just sayin' . . .

No comments: