Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars I really wanted to be bowled over by this book. I knew other people had been, and I knew other people would be. All the way through it, I tried to let it grab me in some way, but it never did. Don't get me wrong. My heart aches for this man and his family. It aches for his children, especially, because my own kids lost their dad a few years ago, and I know how deeply such a loss can affect children. But the book just didn't do what it felt designed to do. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd seen the video or watched Pausch talking about his life, his death, and his family. But I haven't. I've only read the book, which felt dry and lifeless and, frankly, manipulative. All the way through, I felt like someone was trying to manipulate my emotions, and I did what I always do when I feel someone trying to manipulate me. I shut down. I backed off. I put up fences. I resisted. The concept is intriguing, the reality is heartbreaking, but the book was merely all right. I wouldn't tell anyone it was a "must read." I'd suggest you try the video on YouTube instead. View all my reviews.

No comments: